Sunday, June 7, 2015

90 MPH to nothing -and a new Marfy

Can I share a secret?
I take my job way too seriously...

In March I decided to give up the familiar work with great coworkers and headed to a new job back in the suburbs.  The terrific news is, I no longer worked 70 - 80 hours a week or spent 2 hours a day in traffic!
Marfy 3698, in my old new office

I got to downshift from 90 mph to 60 mph.

I liked the job, the company, and the 50 hour work week. Its business casual, how can you not love that!

On May 29th I was informed that the due to the downturn in oil and gas drilling, my services were no longer required...

Have you ever slammed on the brakes doing 60 mph?

Free with 2015 catalog
So, more on being unemployed later...

You're really here for the new Marfy, right…

With my new found sewing time I've finally finished one thing!

So I made it a good thing!  I love this blouse!  Its a free pattern with the 2015 catalog.

Bias layout -Isn't that fabric gorgeous!!!
This silk CDC is from an Australian store called Tessuti, their online store is here and they get the most stunning digital print silks.  If you look closely you can tell that its a panel, there is a ;one where the pattern mirrors.

It is very simple pattern, a front and a back.

This is 138 cms wide and I got 1.25 meters which was (almost) perfect, with a little creativity.
Can you see the seam?

I had to finagle it and it wouldn't quite fit so I decided to added a seam across the back from the neckline to the armhole.

You don't even notice it for the gorgeous print.  Here you can also see the line between the design panels.

Rose Gathering, Tessuti
Here is the fabric picture from Tessuti.

Good think I've been stashing fabric.

Well, tomorrow is Monday of week 2.

I'm going to keep my sanity and keep my days on track.  I have a to-do list and I keep myself to it.

Everyday I vow to:

  • Clean something (like my car or a closet)
  • Apply for something (and harass a recruiter)
  • Sew something
The forces of EEEVIILLL come in many forms
Its weird, I haven't been unemployed for more than 2 weeks since umm, 2009 I guess.  Ironically the 6 month temp job lasted for 4 years, the supposed career position lasted 3 months.

My biggest struggle is against the supreme dark forces that rule the house.  

The over-stuffed recliner, soft-purry-kitty combination creates a wormhole in the space time continuum that is inescapable and makes time fast forward.  I could doze to the 7AM news and awaken to Jerry Springer 4 hours later.

The great soft-purry one even tries to hijack sewing.  Although she prefers to rest on white fabrics where she looks pretties, she will settle for whatever interrupts me the most.

Oh, I need more coffee.
I could research, apply, follow up and setup meetings
Or I could watch sewing tutorials, and shop...
So, when you roll yourself out of bed and drag yourself through Monday morning traffic think of me.  I'm on the back porch with no shoes picking through job listings, sipping coffee, watching birds, checking out Instagram and feeling sorry for all those people stuck in traffic.

Unemployment happens, you must prepare years in advance.  Prepare with conservative purchases of big things and hoarding the necessities like good scissors, lots of coffee, lots of sewing projects and supplies.

First I'm working on some every day casual clothes.  I know that Marfy can appear to be a little too 'guest of the wedding' but it also works for 'guest of the grocery store' and you're not going to have an interview day.  Some days you must research and network at a baseball game or a nail salon.  You never know where you will make great contacts and meet the perfect controller looking for the perfect assistant controller…

Up next, I'll post some work wear!







22 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your job loss. Hopefully something will turn up soon. In the meantime enjoy your sewing. Love the top. Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine, I'm sure something will. Until then I'm going to enjoy some sewing zen!

      Delete
  2. What beautiful fabric and your top is gorgeous. Sorry to hear about your unemployment. I had to chuckle because we are on the same 2nd Monday of not being in the workforce. Your daily plans sound like mine. I am getting in a lot of over due sewing time though. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks OZ, I glad that you are able to use your time wisely as well.
      How good is the hiring environment in Australia?
      I can't wait to see what you are sewing and finishing!

      Delete
  3. You sure do have a great attitude about this and I bet that will be part of the package that gets you the next job. The Tessuti silk is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, its easy to get out of the starting gate with a great attitude, we'll see how I'm still doing in a month and how much I've actually gotten done!

      Delete
  4. I'm on week 8 :/ And sewed like a MAD WOMAN that first few weeks :) chin up!

    Love that top. The fabric is divine and I still never saw the seam! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I do hope you find something!
      Good luck, you are so smart and such a great communicator, I'm sure you will find a career place soon.

      Delete
  5. I like your 3-part plan and beautiful top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz! The Fashionista's was really motivating last night, those meeting really do mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  6. Sorry about that job......the market is hard these days but you WILL get something! LOVE that top - the fabric is fabulous and the look is great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I'm sure I'll find something when the time is right. I so enjoy wearing this top!

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear of situation Becki - my husband and I are grappling with the same situation for the same reason - oil and gas downturn. Here's hoping for a quick resolution to the crisis and glad to see such a great attitude to it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck to you too Jacquianne, the oil downturn really has reached across the globe. It does come and go though and I sure hope it bounces back soon.
      Love the kitty cat! He looks so soft

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry about the job loss but your positive attitude will get you through and to your next job. Your top is just gorgeous. What a beautiful fabric! I love the print and the colors. You look beautiful in these lively colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa, I just feel happy in bright colors!

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear about your job, you start to think the world is getting back on its feet and then you are hit with another downturn. Take care and agree that you should never step out of the house without looking your best in times like this, innocent conversations can start all sorts of things.

    Love your top and it should make you very happy when you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you are really taking it all in stride. Good for you! I'm sure that another opportunity is just around the corner. You are smart to use this down time to sew this gorgeous top! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your unemployment, You seem to have a good attitude about it, but I am sure it is hard. Keep your chin up. Love the fabric and cute top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Becki, I am so sorry to hear about your job loss. It must have been a dreadful shock and I understand how hard some days can be regardless of how brave a face a person puts on to the world. I am sure the right role will come along for you. Try to keep that in mind on the less positive feeling days. You have lots to give to your new employer. Meanwhile, what could be better, in between job searching, than to make such a gorgeous Marfy top. This one was on my list but its just moved up the list a ways. Your version, and that fabric, are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I'm so sorry about your unemployment - what a shock! I like your 3-part plan. And I really, really like that Marfy top! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is why I love the internet! You learn so much! Thank you for sharing this life-saving clothing patterns tip.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List